The Oil and Gas industry has many sought-after opportunities for graduates. One such interesting profile is of a Petroleum Engineer. Many aspirants, after graduation, tend to get confused over the vast options. So, it is essential to know the individual role and responsibilities involved with each profile. Here, we will discuss one of the most sought-after profiles, which is the Petroleum Engineer.
What does a Petroleum Engineer do?
In the simplest term, petroleum engineers specialize in planning and developing different techniques and methods for extracting oil and gas from the earth’s surface. They are also involved in designing simulating programs on computer to predict the petroleum and natural flow on the site and areas. They are the ones who can get the most out of underperforming oil wells.
Various functions divide the petroleum engineers into the following groups:
Reservoir engineers work to enhance oil and gas production through different ways such as correct oil well placement and improved oil recovery techniques.
Drilling engineers are responsible for managing the technical aspects of drilling both production and injection wells.
Production engineers primarily handle tasks such as perforations, sand control, artificial lift, downhole flow control and downhole monitoring equipment to ensure the correct interface between the reservoir and the well.
Qualifications Required to be a Petroleum Engineer:
Candidates having a B.E./B. Tech degree with a stronghold on the following subjects can be qualified to be a Petroleum Engineer.
- aeronautical engineering
- chemical engineering
- civil engineering
- earth sciences
- mechanical engineering
- petroleum engineering
Responsibilities of Petroleum Engineer
- Involved in predicting production potential through effective collaboration with geoscientists, production, and reservoir engineers.
- Works for developing detailed plans to enhance reservoir performance using mathematical models.
- Involved in designing systems that upgrade the flowing capacity of wells.
- Effectively creating a solution for problems related to fluid behaviour and production.
- As a petroleum engineer, he must have the ability to use well and reservoir remote sensing technology and surveillance data to manage the efficiency of the reservoir and decide on appropriate engineering interventions.
- Taking utmost care of well-site operations personnel and operating staff at all levels, including the training and supervision of crew members, and ensuring efficient teamwork to meet client’s requirements at the scheduled time.
- Collaborating with separate departments to determine the progress of the crucial projects.
- Providing the workability and maintenance of all equipment under his supervision.
To be an efficient Petroleum engineer, the following skills need to be showcased:
- Enhanced technical capability
- strong business awareness
- analytical and creative skills
- managerial ability
- Keep the energy high of staff at all levels
- ability to work in multiple environments
- team working skills
- drive and enthusiasm
- ability to solve complex problems arising in the project under the supervision
- flexibility and the ability to work on various projects
- Sound computer skills
Once the necessary skills have been attained with the right set of qualifications, one has endless opportunities to work with oil and gas giants worldwide.
The various options available in India for Petroleum Engineers are as follows:
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Essar Oil
- Hindustan Oil Exploration Company Ltd (HOEC)
There are abundant opportunities available for aspirants looking out for job-oriented courses after graduation. It’s the proper knowledge and good grasp of a subject that will take them ahead.
To know more about the oil and gas industry, check the Oil and gas Piping Engineering course.
by Debashree P
Debashree is an Aeronautical engineer by education and a curious researcher by passion. She is passionate about engineering and technology. She is an avid technology writer who has a knack for developing content for websites, newsletters, blogs, articles, advertising and marketing materials based on the requirements. Technologies of her interest include Aviation, Oil & Gas and AI.